Wednesday, September 22, 2010

due dates

so yesterday, in contrast to monday, started off as a huge pile of fail.  i got up and worked out and all that jazz and everything was dandy until aproximately 11:34 when i got a text from a classmate.

him: hey! our project is due at noon. have you submitted it on blackboard yet?
me: no...is it really due at noon?
him: yeah i think so. actually blackboard says its due at 11:59 a.m.

in my head i was screaming "NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! This cannot be happening!!!!!" but since i was in public i kept it together and calmly raced to edit the stupid political science paper that my entire group thought was due thursday at midnight but was now due that very day at noon...actually 11:59.

this event would not have been as stressful if a few things had been different.  first of all, i like to be in charge, so i usually put myself in charge, like i did with this project.  i had all 10 other people in my group send me their parts to this 5 page paper for me to edit...partly because i don't trust anyone else and partly because i'm an english major and i'm good at editing.  second, i had put off this paper the night before because we all thought it was due on thursday and i had other homework to take care of.  and besides, what teacher makes a project due at noon instead of midnight?!  i just didn't understand.

so by now its about 11:57 and i'm rushing to get this thing posted online, but i was not in my own room at this time, i was in the university union.  there's something you need to know about the union.  the internet sucks there.  like really sucks.  it sucks in the dorms too but not quite as much.  anyway, its 11:57 and i've copied and pasted, i've edited, i've cited and annotated and all i have to do is click "submit".  i click the button and i get a notice from UNT that pops up on my computer.  and what does it say? "your internet connection has timed out.  please sign in through eaglenet."   what?!  are you kidding me?  so i rush to get signed in again but of course is doesnt work and it wont let me sign in for another 10 minutes and class is at 12:30 and i'm so frustrated i could pull my hair out!!!

so i get to class intending to meet up with my classmates to tell them that i had to submit the assignment late when my very spunky political science professor says:

the TAs and i are stupid.  the project is not due until midnight!  our bad!  but good job to those of you who already have it submitted!

 
there was an audible sigh of relief eminating from the 400+ students in the lecture hall.  i could not believe my ears.  i was safe and so happy. 

 
the rest of the day was spent studying, going to a Glee season premier party (don't judge) and helping some friends with statistics homework.  i may or may not have also done some therapy shopping at target and old navy where they had v-necks on sale for $3 and long sleeves for $4, but that's not important.  what is important is due dates.  babies have due dates, milk and dairy products have due dates, and group projects have due dates too.  my suggestion as a college student and an new 19 year old: keep up with them!  otherwise you end up with a stinky fridge and late grades.

2 comments:

  1. Whew! I got stressed out just reading about your day. We've had similar panics around here lately with B's online ap bio quizzes and not being able to get logged into the system. Frustrating, for sure!

    And, I'm very glad to know that old people haven't been barred from reading your blog. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha of course not! i want people to read it, although you're the only one giving me feedback so far so i have no idea if anyone else likes it!

    ReplyDelete